So bad_ace has uncovered some pretty good documentation from Sunnyvale Police Department that indicates that many of the officers are disgruntled by the fact that OCers are a law-abiding crowd. I guess that simple and impartial enforcement of the law is not an option anymore.
A summary of the documentation from bad_ace (shamelessly copied from his post on OCDO)
1. It seems SPD has a collaborative effort to stifle open carry activities.
2. They know it’s legal so they’re spending time finding ways to arrest for other things. (guilty before proven innocent)
3. SPD actively monitors opencarryradio.com, my youtube channel, and OCDO
4. They are informing neighboring departments when we have meet ups their.
5. They desperately want to arrest us for “failure to ID” (as if that’s a real thing). They know PC148.9 is bull, so they look for other tactics.
6. SPD wants to start a “Public Information Component” to educate the public on Open Carry. (Ministry of Truth?)
7. An off duty officer has called 911 on open carriers in Sunnyvale.
8. SPD is building a GIS maps database of school zones.
Links to the documentation
Document set 1
Document set 2
Now, I am going to go on a little bit of a schpeal here...
While it is NOT recommended that people OC at this time, (even I recommend not doing so at this moment) due to imminent political and legal issues (there IS a bill that has been drafted to ban UOC and it appears like it has been drafted so that it will invariably get a lot of innocent people arrested for even harmless transport) as well as the fact that we have no "legal teeth" so to speak (since the 2A is a PRIVILEGE at the moment, not a RIGHT) AND Calguns Foundation is NOT protecting OCers at the moment. I hate to admit it, but OCing right now is, OVERALL, not exactly the best idea. This argument has been hashed out many times over on OCDO and CGN so I will not rehash it here too much. I know it sounds weird coming from someone like me that has been so vocal in the past and has been published, but I know that the standing and expertise of the great members of the Calguns Foundation have not erred yet and so I am inclined to generally agree with them.
Once the 2A is incorporated AGAINST THE STATES via McDonald v. Chicago, we will get our prayers answered via Nordyke v. King and then we can really have the tools we need to win this emotionally draining fight for our rights. Yes, we do have to wait another SIX months but trust me, the juice is definitely worth the delayed squeeze on this one. We have the best men in the country working on this case and while it hurts to wait, that is just what we must do... WAIT.
Now, should one decide to open carry at this time (I am not your mother, I can only advise), I would like to warn you that cops getting much wiser about open carry and they are looking to up their game. The evidence presented above shows me that many police departments are evolving and are coordinating in an effort to simply arrest an OCer, ANY OCer, so that an OCer can be made an example by the State. They don't want that one 74 year-old guy in San Jose, they want one of the frequent posters on OCDO/CGN, anyone that is very experienced with the subject matter OR someone that is younger. DO NOT GIVE THEM THAT OPPORTUNITY! DO NOT LET YOUR DEFENSES FALTER! If it smells like a skunk, then it is a skunk and you need to act accordingly.
With that, I must depart for class.